Monday, April 25, 2011

best. weekend. ever.

is a little bit of an understatement. On Friday, April 22, 2011 when I woke up, I never dreamed that that day would be the day Daniel and I got engaged... but it was! The day was beyond perfect. Daniel had the day off because it was Good Friday, we had Egg Day activities at school which meant lots of candy and no stress. When I got off work, I, like every Friday I go home, stopped to pick up sweet Rhett. Amanda was working at Bama Crawfish after she finished working at the bank so I volunteered Daniel and I for some babysitting duties. This was perfect since I wanted to get some Easter pictures done on such a pretty day. I decided since there were so many golfers on the course that we should go to the pond dam in between hole 7 and 8 - this is a great spot for pictures and it's out of the way of any golfers. We dressed Rhett in his "dress" as Daniel called it and headed out.





We took LOTS of pictures, Daddy and Cotton rode down for a few minutes - for taking pictures of a 20 month old, it was really stress free. We finished up pictures, changed Rhett back into his play clothes, and got busy packing everything up. I was sitting on the golf cart when Daniel asked me if I wanted a beer- I said the pictures were stress free but I still needed A beer afterwards :) Anyways, we were letting Rhett run around and play for a minute before we rode back to the club house. Daniel goes back to the golf cart to get us a beer, he is still talking about how good of a day it was since he didn't have to work, etc. When I looked over, he was on one knee and said "I have one question for you... will you marry me and make this the best Friday ever?" - speechless, crying, excited, LOUD (on the golf course) - of course, I was in shock because I was totally not expecting it and because the ring was absolutely stunning. After about twenty seconds of crying and screaming, he told me he needed an answer... and I of course, with a smile on my face and in my heart, said YES! I then grabbed the ring and before putting it on, realized that HE was supposed to do that... I got a little caught in the moment. Poor Rhett - the Lord must have been watching over him
because he was definitely unsupervised for about five minutes REALLY close to the pond.



After drying my tears and calming down a bit, I knew I had to call my momma - I also knew she was not going to be happy because she was in Demopolis. She could barely hear me and all I could hear her saying was that she was so mad at Daniel because he did not tell her. Daniel said he thought he only had to ask Daddy :) I told momma, I knew daddy knew since he had to give permission so I was on to tell the boys. I found Morgan and Sara on number 1 tee - I told Morgan with an excited look on my face that Daniel and I were getting married - his response... "is that so?" - I would later find out that he was not playing the best round of golf... Sara screamed, grabbed my sunglasses off my face to see if I had been crying, grabbed my hand, and knew it was for real. She also cried a few tears. Tyler was still at work because they were preparing for the big tournament the next day... when he didn't answer his cell phone, he got bumped to behind Kaley/Tammie - who were on their way to Fairhope and almost didn't answer the phone. I literally called people for about two hours. Not to mention that we were at the country club which has always been like a second home - there were lots of people there, poor Daniel got told many times that he better take care of me :) and he will already does!

When I finally got around to see my Daddy, he was putting on #4 and I ran up and told him thank you for telling Daniel yes. Daddy looked surprised - he said I told him he could have you but he had to get you today but I was just kidding! The timing was perfect and Daniel said he couldn't hold the ring any longer so he did it!

On Saturday, I was still floating on cloud nine... The annual UA Alumni Scramble was taking place at the Country Club so we rode to watch Sage/Morgan play golf... and to see Baby Rhett when he got there... and of course, share our good news! We enjoyed our first day being engaged :)




Easter was Sunday which was the perfect ending to the perfect weekend. Daniel and I went to Sunday School where we shared the news with everyone - the preacher even offered to marry us then and there - we thanked him for the offer but told him we had some other plans! We enjoyed a great lunch at the house.



Cole hunted Easter eggs that I hid for him and then I hunted Easter eggs that he hid for me. The whole family - Daniel and Sara included, went to Whynot for the annual gathering - after some sitting and visiting, we went to our pond and fished - let's just say that the boys (Morgan and Daniel) beat the girls (me and Sara) 6-2...





I hated to tell Daniel bye yesterday... I didn't want the weekend to be over... the reality of it all is that I have a busy next year - finals this week, graduation, learning the curriculum for my job next year, planning a wedding, whew - I am tired just thinking about it!

5 comments:

  1. I want to laugh cry and smile all at the same time!!!!! SO SOOOOO happy for you two. It's going to be a fun year :) Can't wait for the festivities

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true fairy tale! I couldn't be any happier for you and Daniel! Now on to planning the wedding, or do you have that taken care of already? I would love to help with a shower or throw you a party so keep me in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and the ring is absolutely beautiful - perfect for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this post! All the details, the beautiful RING!! SO happy for you two!!! Add us to that list of parties, I will help where ever I am needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Ms. Courtney!! I'll have to tell Mary Reeves that you're getting married! Betsy sent me the CS newsletter today with MR's pic in it...we miss that school so much!!

    ReplyDelete