Tuesday, April 12, 2011

caterpillar momma

last week, I was walking out of the house when I saw the cutest little caterpillar climbing up one of the columns at our house... the teacher in me saw that "teachable" moment so I told him to stay put, I found a Mason Jar, poked some holes in the top, gathered some sticks, leaves, and a few drops of water and placed him in the window of the science room where he could get plenty of sun... checked on him with the kids and observed that he was crawling, etc. ... now, for the exciting part - went home for the weekend, came back on Monday and found this...
see the little white thing...

close-up view...

I know the original caterpillar I put in the jar did not look like this...

but I kind of thought the cocoon would look something like this...


who knows, maybe the final product will be as pretty as this...

and in case you have been hiding under a rock OR not reading children's books for few years, these are all from the FABULOUS book The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (my favorite children's author).


No comments:

Post a Comment